By Zack Miller and Chris Shelton
Have you ever wondered why some businesses or people win awards and some don’t? The answer is probably more simple than you think: they applied! That’s it.
Believe it or not, many accolades and awards programs don’t get a ton of applicants. That means your chances of winning them are usually pretty good—if you apply.
So, when is Awards Season? Well, it’s always awards season. Different awards and accolades programs run at different times throughout the year. We’ve listed many of them in this article.
Consider creating a spreadsheet and calendar reminders to keep track of the ones you’re eligible for. As well, you may want to create a document to record common questions/answers so you can copy/paste them into various applications.
Check out this video of Zack Miller, author of Anomaly, and Chris Shelton, executive director of StartWheel, in which they discuss the ins and outs of increasing your chances of getting the recognition you deserve. [The video was originally recorded with Facebook Live on StartWheel’s Page]
Below are Hampton Roads-based awards and accolades for which businesses, entrepreneurs and business/community leaders can apply. Consider setting a Google Alert or some other reminder to apply during the nomination/application period.
Note: Some of these programs may be discontinued, but we’ve linked to the most relevant and recent pages representing them. If you know of any we should add to the list, send them to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Awards addition“.
- Health Care Heroes: Each February, Inside Business honors outstanding individuals, companies and organizations in the health care field for their contributions to improving health care in Hampton Roads. The accompanying section features each of the honorees. Nomination period: October – December | Registration period: January – February
- Entrepreneurial Excellence Awards: Each June, Inside Business honors local entrepreneurs who have been able to successfully establish unique businesses in the Hampton Roads area. The accompanying section will include profiles of each honoree. Nomination period: February – April | Registration period: May – June
- Top Forty Under 40: Inside Business’ Top Forty Under 40 profiles young business people who are not only successful in their professional careers, but are also taking the time to make a difference in their communities. Nomination period: June – August | Registration period: September – October
- Roaring 20: This program from Inside Business recognizes 20 of the fastest growing businesses in Hampton Roads. Companies are evaluated based on their revenue and employee growth. They will be profiled in a special section and honored at an awards banquet. Nomination period: June – August | Registration period: September – October
- Women In Business: Inside Business honors the accomplishments of outstanding women in the Hampton Roads business community. The accompanying section in print and online will feature profiles of each honoree. Nomination period: August – September | Registration period: October – December
- HR Chamber Small Business of the Year Awards: Nomination period usually runs November – January | The following awards are offered in this program:
- Small Business of the Year for all of Hampton Roads
- Small Business of the Year for each Hampton Roads city
- Top to Watch
- Entrepreneur of the Year
- Leadership Award
- Community Impact Awards: CoVaBIZ Magazine honors Coastal Virginia businesses and organizations that are making a tangible, measurable impact on their communities. That impact might be the result of any number of activities including job creation, workforce development programs, volunteer efforts, or innovative business models that promote a healthy work environment. Nomination period: May 15—June 28, 2019.
- Best Places to Work: Give your organization the opportunity to gain valuable recognition, increase employee engagement, attract and retain top talent, and transform its culture with data-based insights. Nominate your company for a Top Workplaces award.
Awards for Digital and Creative Work (shout out to Carl Cleanthes at Epic Made for sending us these)
- Effie Awards: The Effie Awards are known by advertisers and agencies globally as the pre-eminent award in the industry, and recognize any and all forms of marketing that contribute to a brand’s success.
- FWA Favorite Website Awards: FWA is where you go to experience cutting-edge innovation in digital design and development. It’s a space that encourages the digital industry to push the boundaries of technology, to show people what is possible.
- Communication Arts: Since 1959, Communication Arts has published the best in visual communications from around the world.
- Clio image awards: The Clio Awards is the premier international awards competition for the creative business.
- Iab Mixx Awards
- American Advertising Awards: The American Advertising Awards is one of the industry’s largest creative competitions, attracting nearly 35,000 professional and student entries each year through local club competitions. The mission of the American Advertising Awards is to recognize and reward the creative spirit of excellence in advertising.
- Cannes Lions Awards: With 27 different specialist Lions, it’s easy to find the right home for your creative work and ensure they are honoured at Cannes Lions.
- Webby Awards: The Internet’s highest honor. The Webby Awards is the leading international award honoring excellence on the internet.
- Hermes Awards: An international competition for creative professionals involved in the concept, writing and design of traditional materials, marketing and communication programs, and emerging technologies.
- Telly Awards: The Telly Awards was founded in 1979 to honor excellence in local, regional and cable television commercials with non-broadcast video and television programming added soon after. With the recent evolution and rise of digital video (web series, VR, 360 and beyond), the Telly Awards today also reflects and celebrates this exciting new era of the moving image on and offline.
Have a story in mind or press release of your own that our regional entrepreneurs and innovators should know about? Let us know!
Stay updated on news and events in the Hampton Roads startup ecosystem…sign up for the StartWheel newsletter!
StartWheel’s mission is to centralize and mobilize efforts that foster the growth of entrepreneurism in our regional innovation economy. We aim to support and cultivate an entrepreneurial network in HRVA where talent, resources, information and leadership come together.