The Center for Retail Excellence offers classes and mentoring to assist aspiring and existing retailers in operating their businesses successfully. You do not have to have a college degree (or even a high school diploma) to participate and we focus on curriculum that are essential to your business’s success, not on abstract theories. Our classes are accessible and affordable and are presented in a variety of formats: online, face-to-face, and streaming video.
Our flagship course of study is the Certificate in Retail Operations (CROps). The Certificate is earned by completing 7 classes (each only six weeks in length) that cover what we call the Seven Pillars of Retail Operations.
- Run with It! – Successful startup
- Dollars and Sense – An introduction to accounting for retail
- Marketing’s a Pitch – How to identify markets and get people into your store.
- Retail, E-tail, and Detail – Merchandising for retailers.
- May the (Work)Force Be With You – Hiring for success.
- Cover your Assets – Loss Prevention and Security
- Reality Bites – Failing to plan is planning to fail!
These classes can be taken individually or as a course of study. Currently, there are three cohorts, geographically situated in Norfolk, Gloucester and the Peninsula, with plans for additional cohorts to respond to needs exceeding this geographical reach. Each cohort site is equipped to accommodate the face-to-face portions of this certificate program, with classrooms and conference rooms for breakout and one-on-one mentoring sessions.
The Center for Retail Excellence is a resource offered in connection with the Retail Alliance, Virginia’s oldest trade association serving the interests of local retailers in greater Hampton Roads for 115 years.