Press Release from Gather
Gather, a Richmond-born coworking space, will open its fifth location and second in Hampton Roads this year. Expected to open in August, Gather Newport News will be located in Tech Center in Building One, offering a beautiful new workspace, ample parking, and walkability to Tech Center restaurants and shopping.
Gather chose Newport News as its second Hampton Roads location due to the area’s strong local demand for Class A shared office space, proximity to Richmond, and their partnership with Tech Center Research Park and its affiliation with Virginia Tech Corporate Research Center in Blacksburg. Following in the footsteps of sister spaces in Richmond, the new Gather will boast a modern and stylish design “that will ignite coworkers with inspiration and energy,” says James Crenshaw, an owner of Gather.
“Tech Center Research Park is proud to welcome Gather to our growing community of exceptional minds. We are ecstatic to bring Gather’s proven co-working model to the place where the next generation of businesses are coming together. Gather Newport News at Tech Center will be unmatched, and unlike any space our region has ever seen. Gather is a critical and important piece of our vision, as it will be the place where both early stage ideas and businesses can take shape, plant and grow into game changing products, and services that can make a global impact and difference,” said Jeff Johnson, Director of Tech Center Research Park in Newport News.
Gather Newport News will have room for more than 400 members, in 27,341 sq. ft. in a brand new building at 630 Hofstadter Road in Tech Center. The spot will be home to more than 133 private offices, larger suites for enterprise-level clients, open area workspaces, event space, and a range of conference rooms and meeting spaces. Gather Newport News will offer locally sourced coffee and tea in the communal kitchen, as well as a packed calendar of professional and social events, including the famous – to members, at least – Wednesday Cookie Hour. Gather floor plans are strategically designed with “collision points” to encourage interactions between members. Odell Associates Inc. Architects are leading the design, while Campfire & Co. is serving as interior designer, as the Richmond-based company has on Gather’s Central Virginia spaces.
Gather has more than 500 members in Central Virginia that cover a wide span of industries, with sizes ranging from individual freelancers to small businesses and larger, international enterprises that chose Gather for their Richmond outpost. “Every Gather member has access to all Gather locations, so members in Richmond will have a space in Norfolk and Newport News, and the same goes for Hampton Roads members coming to Richmond. We look forward to partnering with the Hampton Roads business and nonprofit community to get work done.”says Polly White, an owner of Gather.
Savannah Bolin, native of Newport News and current resident of Norfolk, has been named Regional Director of Gather Hampton Roads. Community managers will be hired to run the Newport News office, and will host multiple hard hat events at the space during the time leading up to its opening. Moving beyond Norfolk and Newport News, Gather is committed to continue its growth in the Hampton Roads area.
- What is the significance of coworking? Coworking spaces like Gather are booming – and will not be going anywhere soon. According to a forecast from the Global Coworking Unconference Conference, there were an estimated 638,000 people around the world working in coworking spaces in 2018.
- Today’s professional world is all about access, and with the option to “switch up your scenery,” people are now able to work from different locations depending on where they happen to be that day. Coworking spaces offer comfortable seating, meeting rooms, and/or recreational activities, all of which spark creativity and keep energy and productivity flowing. And they are the very concept of a collaborative workspace, where you are able to interact, work, and communicate with fellow professionals.
- What is Gather? Gather appeals to self-employed individuals who might otherwise work from home, as well as companies and nonprofits of all sizes. Members range from those looking for a single workspace to those requiring a number of offices or a larger private suite. Gather is also attractive to those who are not yet ready for a long-term lease commitment, and out-of-town firms that need a local presence. Gather provides inspiring work environments, thoughtfully designed common areas, and private workspaces ranging from one-person offices to suites for larger teams. All Gather locations include a full kitchen, free coffee provided by a local roastery, private meeting rooms and phone booths, and social events.
- April 2014: Gather opens first location at 409 E. Main St., Richmond (this location, known to members and friends as “Gather Downtown,” is relocating this summer and becoming “Gather City Center”)
- June 2016: Gather Scott’s Addition (16,500 sq. ft.) opens second location at 2920 W. Broad St., Richmond
- January 2018: Gather Short Pump (17,908 sq. ft.) opens at 2400 Old Brick Rd., Glen Allen
- June 2019: The first Gather outside of Richmond opens at 500 East Main St. Norfolk
- Summer 2019: Gather Newport News (27,341 sq. ft.) to open in partnership with Tech Center and its affiliation with Virginia Tech Corporate Research Center in Blacksburg. Gather City Center (20,000 sq. ft.) to open; Downtown location relocates to City Center at 313 East Broad St., Richmond
- Pricing starts at $250 a month for full coworking access, allowing members to sit anywhere and use all amenities. Dedicated desks are $350 per month and private offices start at $500 per month. All pricing includes utilities, Wi-Fi, and Gather amenities. Members have 24/7 access to all Gather locations.
- Gather owner/operators are: James Crenshaw, Doug and Polly White
- Regional Director for Hampton Roads: Savannah Bolin
ABOUT GATHER LLC
Founded in 2014, Gather Workspaces LLC designs, builds and operates coworking, dedicated desks, and private office communities. In a single bundled price, members receive 24/7 access to Class A office space, amenities, Wi-Fi and utilities, social events, and state-of-the-art meeting rooms. Learn more: www.workatgather.com. To learn more about Tech Center Research Park, visit www.innovateattechcenterva.com.
For more information: Media: James Crenshaw | (804) 347-0886 | James@workatgather.com
Have a story in mind or press release of your own that our regional entrepreneurs and innovators should know about? Let us know!
Stay updated on news and events in the Hampton Roads startup ecosystem…sign up for the StartWheel newsletter!
StartWheel’s mission is to centralize and mobilize efforts that foster the growth of entrepreneurism in our regional innovation economy. We aim to support and cultivate an entrepreneurial network in HRVA where talent, resources, information and leadership come together.