We had a great turnout at Zeiders American Dream Theater on Tuesday, May 21st for 757Pitch’s 12th edition. We heard from five energetic startup teams about the big ideas they’re working on.
757Pitch is a bi-monthly, open-to-the-public pitch competition for new, scalable, high-growth business ideas. Five competitors each have seven minutes to deliver their pitch, followed by five minutes of Q&A. The winner is awarded $757 cash, access to the resources of the ODU Institute for Innovation & Entrerpeneurship, and a one-year membership to BizConnect.
All competitors benefit from candid feedback given by the judges and audience, along with publicity and practice pitching their venture.
757Pitch is organized through a collaboration between StartWheel and Old Dominion University, and sponsored by BizConnect. Special thanks to our host of May 2019’s edition, Zeiders American Dream Theater.
At the end of the night, there could only be one winner—that spot went to Frech Slide, presented by founder Neil Hailey.
Hear Beau Turner deliver an inspiring address to the audience as he announces the winner (pardon the video quality):
Check out Neil’s pitch video below along with the rest of our lineup and be sure to subscribe to StartWheel’s YouTube channel.
“French Slide is revolutionizing the door industry through the invention of the world’s first sliding and hinging patio door. They’ve developed a proprietary sliding and hinging mechanism which can be integrated into various patio door designs to create a truly all in one patio door perfect for any space and every place.”
“Ordering catering for business meetings can be a time consuming and manual process that negatively impacts productivity. Cater Boom solves this problem by providing an easy way to source and order catering directly from local restaurants and caterers through our online ordering marketplace. Our target market primarily consists of sales reps, office managers, corporate administrators and executive assistants who order catering on a regular basis. Cater Boom provides all-inclusive catering options, best in industry loyalty program, and easy receipt management. Cater Boom is your business catering marketplace, BOOM!”
“For college students, office workers, and mobile workers who need a compact bottle that offers long lasting thermability and durability, Cupllapsible offers a product made from stainless steel that is able to collapse into itself while still being able to keep your drink at the desired temperature all day. Unlike Yeti and other name brand cups, our product is able to collapse for storage efficiency.”
“Placity provides online building code analysis, based on your business plan, to give accurate building code requirements for your business. Placity gives you the information you need to understand how well your business plan fits into a building before you commit.”
“With a growing need for affordable “last mile” delivery solutions, I came up with a pedal electric option that is easy to operate and maintain. Capable of carrying up to two people and substantial cargo, capacity can be increased with an optional trailer. This retro design is eco-friendly, cost-efficient and also provides a varying degree of exercise. Many large and small organizations are moving things like mail, packages, and other items only a few miles. Whether driven as a pedal, electric or combination vehicle, it’s easy operation can be used for a full day`s delivery needs.”
We applaud all of our competitors for putting on such a great show, and for their ambitions of starting the next big venture here in Hampton Roads!
Judges for the competition were:
- Mike Zeiders is the founder and Chairman of Zeiders Enterprises, which provides quality of life support services to military service members and families nationwide; the Quality of Life Foundation, a not-for profit organization that provides nationwide support to caregivers of our nation’s most severely wounded, ill, and injured veterans; and Zeiders American Dream Theater.
- Anyssa Reddix is the program manager for Envision Lead Grow, a nonprofit working to increase the rate of entrepreneurship and breaking the cycle of poverty for middle-school-aged girls in underserved communities throughout the nation. Anyssa is passionate about empowering the next generation of girl bosses.
- Kate Meechan currently serves as a consultant and contractor for executive leadership, strategic planning and other key business principles while working on her own startup. She has her MBA from ODU and her bachelors from Boston University. Kate sits on the Board of Advisors for the Kempsville High School Entrepreneurial & Business Academy and serves as a CIVIC Scholars mentor to ODU students.
- Evans McMillion is Executive Director of 757 Accelerate. She’s passionate about solving problems through innovation and collaboration. As an attorney, she helped growing businesses rethink their options and knock down the hurdles in their path towards growth. Most of Evans’ opportunities materialized because she was willing to say “yes” and then get to work (lesson!). In a prior life, Evans worked as an attorney counseling big and small companies at all stages of growth from entity formation through IPO. She has practiced in law firms in Seattle and Virginia Beach, as well as serving as corporate counsel to ADS, Inc. Evans attended Dartmouth College and Duke University School of Law.
- As a Product/Industrial Designer, Beau Turner has worked on hundreds of products from software to hardware and specializes turning ideas into functional prototypes and early stage manufacturing. He is the CEO and Creative Director for 757 Makerspace, a communal workshop in Norfolk with studios, tools, equipment, classes, and a solid community of makers and creators where you can find that thing you love and make it!
The next 757Pitch will be held on July 16, 2019 from 5:30pm-8:30pm at Ferguson Ventures in Newport News.
Applications for 757Pitch are accepted on a rolling basis and can be submitted at 757Pitch.org.
Have a story in mind or press release of your own that our regional entrepreneurs and innovators should know about? Let us know!
Stay updated on news and events in the Hampton Roads startup ecosystem…sign up for the StartWheel Newsletter!
StartWheel’s mission is to centralize and mobilize efforts that foster the growth of entrepreneurism in our regional innovation economy. We aim to support and cultivate an entrepreneurial network in HRVA where talent, resources, information and leadership come together.